Friday, February 16, 2007

A*STAR Young Researchers is awesome

The A*STAR Young Researchers Attachment Programme aims to attract, nurture and groom youths from around the world, to create a multi-national R&D hub in Singapore.
The programme provides support for Upper Secondary and Pre-university studies at top Singapore schools and Junior Colleges. Outstanding scholars may further pursue their Undergraduate studies and PhDs under A*STAR's support.

School & Hostel PlacementScholars will be placed in one of the top Secondary Schools/ Junior Colleges for their education when they first arrive in Singapore.
Hostel accommodation is provided for all Secondary/ JC scholars. Scholars will have access to study, recreational and laundry facilities. Hostels generally provide 2 meals a day, with special provisions for Muslims and scholars who are vegetarians.
Bridging CoursesShort courses in English and Mathematics are conducted for selected scholars to help them prepare for the Singapore curriculum.
Assimilation ProgrammesOrientation and assimilation programmes (eg Buddy system, Host Family Program) ensure that there will be help at hand for new scholars.
Host Family ProgrammeYRAP scholars will be paired with A*STAR researchers or staff to provide them with mentorship and guidance, as well as to help them experience local culture through interaction with host families.
Research InternshipYRAP scholars will also have the opportunity to gain research exposure through internships at the A*STAR Research Institutes during school vacation.
How to Apply
YRAP scholars are identified from existing pools of ASEAN, School-based and A*STAR India Youth scholars. Interested students from India are encouraged to apply to the A*STAR India Youth Scholarship.

*School-based scholarship applications are invited through nominations only.
A*GA Scholarship Officers:Lim Chin TeeRebecca Sim

" The past June holidays were beyond my expectations. Instead of my average holiday of homework, books and movies, I spent my time in the laboratory (for my A*STAR research attachment) and was introduced to a whole new world of science. Though tiring, the experience opened my eyes to a broader perspective of thoughts and allowed me to get to know new friends. I regard it as one of the most enriching holidays I have ever had."Sophia Susanto, 2005 A*STAR YRAP(ASEAN) Scholar
"I have learnt not just knowledge that one can acquire from books, but also knowledge which can be gained only through experience. I sincerely look forward to the next few years of my stay in Singapore." Rajarshi Maiti, 2005 A*STAR India Youth Scholar

" My friends and teachers are very friendly and kind. Staying here makes me recognise that while I have the best family at home, I also have another great family here in Singapore!"Le Ngoc Phuong Lan (middle), 2005 A*STAR-NUSHS Scholar

Learn more about Thuy Tram, our 2003 NSS(BS) scholar and 2004 Chairman's Honours List recipient!

article originally posted here: Holidays Can Be Educational and Fun for Astar Young Researchers

No comments: